Curls N Pearls

How-To: Braided Headband [HAIR]

How To: Braided Headband Hair Tutorial (DIY)

If you have shoulder-length hair or longer it is easy to grow bored of wearing the same wavy and straight styles day after day. This is a quick and easy hair tutorial to add some fun to your everyday look with a simple braided headband. You can sport this look with wavy or straight hair. My hair was straight the day I decided to try the braided headband, but I’m looking forward to trying it with wavy hair to create a soft romantic look.

How To: Braided Headband Hair Tutorial (DIY)

How To: Braided Headband Hair Tutorial (DIY)

Products Used:

Kenra Platinum Sheer Holding Spray

Goody Boar Ceramic Cushion Brush

Scunci No-slip Grip Beautiful Blends Blonde Bobby Pins

What styles have you come up with to dress up everyday hair?

• Kylee says:

Is there a video on this? Or is it just of the pictures?

January 26, 2012 at 10:23 pm
    • Christina says:

Hi Kylee! I don’t have a good enough camera yet, but if there are enough requests I will hopefully find a way! Did you have a specific question that I can help with? Best, Christina

January 26, 2012 at 10:34 pm
      • Josie says:

Hi Christina!

I’m 12, and i have really thick, wavy hair! I was wondering if you had any tips to share on what hairstyles i should use for it! I never know what to do!

Ps: Its below my shoulders (and strawberry blonde if you wanted to know)

:) Thank you so much! (:
        From, Josie

March 13, 2013 at 2:09 pm
        • Christina says:

Hi Josie! Thick, wavy hair is the best! You can do so much with it. One of my favorite go-to’s is a fishtail braid. You could also probably put your damp hair up in a high and tight ballerina bun and after it dries, take it down for soft waves. Your hair type is the best, so the possibilities are really endless!

March 14, 2013 at 9:58 am
          • Jacy says:

Hi Christina!, My hair is extremely thick, wavy, and LONG!! It dosen’t hold curl very well, is there any products, tools, or up-dos you recommend to get curly hair with my type??? Thanks a Million, Jacy

April 2, 2013 at 4:35 pm
  • Erin says:

Love this. I can’t wait to try this on my hair. Hopefully it isn’t too thin to work!

January 27, 2012 at 10:43 am
    • Christina says:

Erin, I think this will work great on your hair! Just don’t braid too tightly, so you have enough length to wrap it around for the headband look. It would look great with your curls.

January 27, 2012 at 10:53 am
      • Megan says:

heyyy i need something 2 do in my hair…. its short and i really need help can u help me thank u :)

February 7, 2012 at 3:35 pm
        • Christina says:

Hi Megan! I’d be happy to try and help out. How short is your hair? Options may be limited if you hair is super short. Also, what texture is it (e.g. curly, thin, thick, etc)?

-Christina

February 7, 2012 at 4:02 pm
          • Megan says:

my hair is over my shoulder and its kinda thick

February 7, 2012 at 8:00 pm
          • Christina says:

Hi Megan, my hair is about the same length and texture, so this style should work well for you! Here are two other tutorials I’ve posted that you may like: Fishtail Braid and Messy Bun w/ Pompadour. I hope this is helpful! Have a great day. :)

February 8, 2012 at 11:51 am
  • Kylee says:

Thank you, I tried it a few times and I can’t quite get it. So I hope you make a tutorial for it, it looks gorgeous!

January 28, 2012 at 8:55 pm
    • Christina says:

You are so sweet to say so, Kylee – I hope to have a camera suitable for videos and an accompanying video up ASAP, and I will definitely email you once I have done so. Thanks again for being such a sweet reader! Best, Christina

January 28, 2012 at 9:04 pm
  • Tonia says:

This is so cute and hopefully something I can do with my hair!! It has a mind of its own and only does what it wants! I’m trying it out tomorrow!!

January 29, 2012 at 9:20 pm
  • Tessa says:

Will it work if all my hair is one length and i dont have any bangs??? it looks awesome btw

January 31, 2012 at 6:31 pm
    • Christina says:

Hi Tessa! Thank you so much. My hair is practically all one length – my layers are very long. I have more layers/framing around my face, so I took the section that I braided from further back away from my hairline, where the hair is longer. If your hair is all one length, this updo should be even easier. As far as no bangs, maybe do the hairstyle as described, but as a final step tuck some hair behind your ears? Or not! I’m curious to see how it will look both ways! It might look way better. :)

January 31, 2012 at 6:45 pm
  • Tessa says:

Thanks! I tried it and it looks great! about as good as yours! thanks for sharing your idea! My friends are gonna be so jealous!

January 31, 2012 at 9:35 pm
    • Christina says:

That is awesome, Tessa! So glad that it worked out! Wish I could see it. :)

January 31, 2012 at 9:39 pm
  • Elizabeth says:

I tried doing this to my hair for Christmas but when I was trying to secure the braid on the other side with bobby pins it wouldnt stay so I gave up. How do you make the braid stay?

February 2, 2012 at 3:32 pm
    • Christina says:

Hi Elizabeth! I used two bobby pins in an X formation. My hair was probably also a day dirty, which helps with updos. If you have very fine hair that doesn’t like to cooperate, you could use a dry shampoo on your hair first to kind of rough up the texture. I hope this helps!

February 2, 2012 at 3:35 pm
  • Bekah says:

I love this!! I tried it, and it looks amazing!! It is a great way to dress up everyday hair! :) You and I have a very similar haircut! You have gorgeous hair!

February 5, 2012 at 4:40 pm
    • Christina says:

Thank you so much, Bekah! I’m so glad to hear it worked out well! :)

February 5, 2012 at 5:18 pm
  • M says:

I wonder… could you add a ribbon into the braid? I love this hair style!

February 6, 2012 at 1:05 pm
    • Christina says:

That is a really good idea! I will have to try that! Thank you. :)

February 6, 2012 at 1:43 pm
  • Jessica says:

I love this look but cant seem to get it right. Everytime I try to fold over the braid to create the headband it makes a weird pouf and looks too weird with my hair over it. Is there a trick to moving the hair over to create the ‘headband’?

February 7, 2012 at 7:40 pm
    • Christina says:

Hi Jessica! Is it possible that you are making the braid too thick or braiding too tightly? I took approximately a 2×2 inch section (my hair is not super thick) and braided it quite loosely. I still had to manipulate the hair a little bit to get the look that I wanted, but not too much. I hope this helps, and please let me know if you have additional questions! Thanks so much. :) Christina

February 7, 2012 at 9:39 pm
  • Jessica says:

It may be too tight of a braid. I will try it again loosening the braid. Thanks!

February 8, 2012 at 7:41 am
  • Kathy Turner says:

So cute, cant wait to show my daughter!

February 8, 2012 at 12:39 pm
  • Megan says:

My hair is nottt that longg its reallyy shorttt

February 10, 2012 at 11:41 am
  • Lauren says:

This is so cute! I tried it and was able to do it in like 5 minutes, although, I’ll want to practice it some more before going out in public! 2 thoughts: 1.) For Elizabeth, my hair has a really glassy texture and I always have a hard time getting bobby pins to stay in if they’re on the sides of my head. I used a clear plastic elastic to hold the end of my braid, and that gave the bobby pin something to catch on so it wouldn’t move. 2.) For Jessica, makes sure you’re not braiding in a downward direction when you’re doing your braid (like when you do pigtails). I’ve been playing with a lot of braided looks lately and if I need my braids to go in a certain direction, I find that going straight out from my head (think 90 degree angle) or in the direction I want the braid to go works best. If I braid downward and then try to flip the braid in the other direction, I get the weird pouf. Hope my tricks are helpful!

February 17, 2012 at 11:18 pm
    • Christina says:

Hi Lauren! Thanks so much for reading and for sharing your very helpful comments. I too used a clear elastic to secure the end of my braid – sorry for forgetting to mention that in the post! I also love your advice about being conscientious of the direction of the braid to avoid a bumpy appearance. Thanks again – these are great tips to share & I appreciate it! :)

February 18, 2012 at 2:13 pm
  • Michelle says:

This is such a cute look….I wish there was a video on how to do this

February 19, 2012 at 2:09 am
    • Christina says:

Hi Michelle, thank you so much for your sweet comment. As soon as I am able to buy a camera I will definitely post a video tutorial (you aren’t the first one to ask). Video would definitely be more helpful to demonstrate the steps. Thanks again and have a great day! :)

February 19, 2012 at 8:47 pm
  • Whitney says:

I have super thin hair, same length as you, but my hair is dark brown. I find the braid doesn’t really “stand out” as much as yours because of my color, bummer! This is a really cute look.

Also for those of you having trouble getting it to stay with bobby pins, before you put an elastic on the end of the braid, flip it over to the opposite side of your head (where you would pin it) and grab a little piece of hair where you want it to attach to your head, THEN wrap the elastic around both the braid & that little chunk of hair you grabbed behind your ear. It stays put better :) You can also add a bobby pin after if you need to.

February 20, 2012 at 3:18 pm
    • Christina says:

Hi Whitney! Thanks so much for your comment. Sorry to hear that you had some trouble. I read a tip somewhere recently that you can make a braid thicker by loosely braiding one of the three strands by itself first, and then braiding that strand with the two non-braided strands. I tried it on my hair a couple of weeks ago, but I need to grow mine a bit longer to see if it will work for me. Maybe worth a try! Anyways, thanks so much and have a great day. :)

February 20, 2012 at 3:23 pm
  • Whitney says:

Hmm – maybe I’ll try braiding all 3 strands separate first, then braiding those 3 together. Could be an interesting look – if my hair is long enough! :)

February 20, 2012 at 3:45 pm
  • Ani mendez says:

I did it! you can see it here. It went… good :S

March 11, 2012 at 4:15 pm
    • Christina says:

Hi Ani! I’m so happy that it worked out for you – it looks great on you! Very nice blog, too. :) Thank you for sharing your link and pics!

March 11, 2012 at 4:52 pm
  • Courtney says:

Great step-by-step! Love it! If you have time, we’d love to see something like this on Taaz. :) (www.taaz.com)

March 18, 2012 at 12:53 am
  • Nicole says:

Thank you so much for all of fabulous styles. Love them all!

March 18, 2012 at 11:01 am
  • Nazia says:

After about 12 tries I finally got it! I kept braiding it to high and didn’t have enough hair to cover the bottom bit. Thank you – it looks very pretty :-)

April 6, 2012 at 9:50 am
    • Christina says:

Yay! I’m so glad to hear that it worked out, Nazia! :)

April 6, 2012 at 9:54 am
  • Jodi says:

LOVE LOVE LOVE THIS!! Christina, I just featured you in my “Try it out” Pinterest post! XOXO

April 16, 2012 at 11:58 pm
    • Christina says:

Thank you, Jodi!! It looks great on you! :)

April 17, 2012 at 6:08 am
  • Thressa says:

Hey,
    I have super long her, like almost long enough to sit on. Any Hair Do’s you think I could try. Definitely looking for a new style!

Thanks,
    Thressa

April 17, 2012 at 3:49 pm
    • Christina says:

Hi Thressa! I’ve never had my hair that long, so nothing is coming to me right off the top of my head. I am seeing my hairdresser next week, who is fabulous at updos, so I’ll be sure to pick her brain! I’ll let you know if we come up with anything. Thanks for visiting my blog! :)

April 17, 2012 at 3:56 pm
  • ms.gee says:

wow!great hair=)its gorgeous on u christine.im wondering how did you do the first step in volumizing your hair?kinda confused..i really wanted to give it a try .

May 13, 2012 at 9:43 am
    • Christina says:

Hi there! Thanks so much for your sweet comment! To get the volume, I gathered the hair at the crown of my head (a section about the side of a tennis ball) and working from the lowest section up, I teased probably three sections. I teased with a brush because that was all I had on hand, but you can tease with a brush or comb. Once I was finished teasing I used the brush to smooth the surface and hide the teasing, leaving the volume. I hope this helps!

May 14, 2012 at 8:40 am
  • Erica says:

This style is so cute. I can never find a headband you can buy in a store that even comes close to matching my hair color (natural redhead) and this is so perfect for me. Would you believe the hardest part for me is trying to secure bobby pins lol. Thanks for your tutorials :)

July 7, 2012 at 12:08 am
  • Rachel - Momma on Fire says:

Super cute! Definitely trying this one – finally a hairdo that I can probably do myself without totally botching it up!!!

Rachel
    mommaonfire.blogspot.com

July 23, 2012 at 7:26 pm
  • Betty says:

September 13, 2012 at 10:37 pm
  • Savi says:

this is so cool and when i read the comments, it really helped!
    my hair was going all poofy to when i tried :)
    thx!

September 26, 2012 at 7:33 am
  • Stephanie says:

Two questions… Can and how do you put it in a ponytail? and do you have to have straight hair or is it still possible with curly hair?

March 9, 2013 at 8:25 pm
    • Christina says:

Hi Stephanie! Thank you for your comment. I’m not sure exactly what you mean with the ponytail – I’m sure it would work fine to gather your hair at the nape after creating the braided headband. And to answer your second question – yes, I definitely think it would work great with both curly and straight hair. You may run into some issues if you have super, super curly hair, but waves should be fine. I hope this is helpful! Enjoy your evening. :)

March 11, 2013 at 8:07 pm
  • sal says:

i have long blond hair but its really thin and braids make it look even thinner but its to hot out where i live to wear my hair loose any ideas

April 25, 2013 at 11:58 pm
  • Sallie Handon says:

So simply yet so sheek. It can be worn for any occasion from formal to casual. I love it.

May 8, 2013 at 3:08 am
  • Anna says:

Hi! My hair is medium/longish. I was wondering if you had any suggestions on easy to do hairstyles for Summer. My hair is kind of thin and its blonde if that helps:)I just need a few different cute styles that I can quickly put up. I cant figure anything out that is easy and CUTE.
    THANK YOU! Your gorgeous

May 16, 2013 at 3:39 pm
  • Anayn says:

Hi Christina! I’ve been wearing a straight and a medium length hair for almost three years. And i’m kinda bored of it. I tried doing the braid headband and it look gorgeous except that the braid is not that noticeable like yours because I have a black-colored hair. Anyway, can you suggest other fun hair styles? Thanks!

June 13, 2013 at 7:51 am
  • Lilly says:

Christina, how would this look with curly hair? My hair is quite thick and light blonde.

I am growing out my fringe but its SO slow and it wont go behind my ears. Im not sure how to pin it back for this hairstyle without it looking messy :( my fringe is curly too, but i could straighten if its needed to help.

Also, how would this look in a high pony? Would i need any adjustments?

July 28, 2013 at 5:55 am
  • Skye says:

Hi Christina! I have medium thick dark brown hair and I wonder if there are any braided styles I can do? It is wavy, too.
    Your Fan,
    Skye :)

August 7, 2013 at 2:25 pm
  • Designer Hair Headbands says:

Her hair volume is so pretty. Lovely headband as well.

September 22, 2013 at 11:05 pm