Last week my girlfriend and I were chatting about personal style and spring/summer trends when she brought up her love for polka dots and that she was happy to see the style listed on a recent trend report.
In the past I have incorporated polka dots in my wardrobe here and there, mostly with accessories. There was an adorable pair of Kate Spade slingbacks that my Mom and I borrowed back and forth from one another so many times that no one remembers the original rightful owner (she “won” by default when she
sneaked off with them took them with her when my parents moved to Florida.) I also had a dotted Kate Spade tote that I carried for some time, until one of the handles started to fray. After a quick peek in my closet the only other dotted items I spotted (get it?) were a scarf and a pair of rain boots.
Since I’m making an effort to add more bright colors in my otherwise neutral wardrobe, polka dots seem like a fun way to step outside of my comfort zone. I’ll always love classic and feminine black and white polka dots like those on the above tunic, dress and platform pump. While bright colors and polka dots together are undeniably cute, there is still a fine line between cute and comical, to the point that polka dots could look more like they belong on children’s clothing. For example, I am torn on the second dress – I love the shape and fun colors, but I think I would like the dress more if the dots were not so big. What do you think?
Here are a few of my favorite polka-dotted items I’ll keep in mind for inspiration next time I go shopping.
- BAILEY 44 Black Polka Dot Silk Tunic Top . . . $230
- Dorothy Perkins Multi Polka-Dot Flared Dress . . . $98
- Dorothy Perkins Black Chiffon Sleeve Tunic . . . $69
- J. Crew Polka-Dot Scarf . . . $23
- MARC BY MARC JACOBS Black/Blue Dot Bangle . . . $65
- Kate Spade Baublebox Bracelet . . . $148
- Bebe Nadine Polka Dot Platform Pump . . . $139
- Fossil ‘Key-Per’ Coated Canvas Shoulder Bag . . . $128
- Tory Burch Ruth Polka-Dot Cotton Top . . . $225
What fun or quirky styles are inspiring your spring/summer 2012 wardrobe?
Special thanks to my friend Nicki for her help with this post!